For any request or information, you can contact us at 021.308.80.80 / 021-9612
Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) is a new technology where one or several cells are harvested from an embryo formed in vitro, on day 3 o3 5 prior to transfer This procedure is performed in order to check all chromosomes and to identify embryos with a complete number of chromosomes and normal structure, in only 24 hours.
Because Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) is a maximum interest procedure for couples undergoing in vitro fertilization, Dr. Diana Cocei, senior embryologist at the Columna Medical Center, informs us in this article of the most important 5 aspects regarding Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS):
1. The first Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) was performed in 1990. Ever since then, the technology used for this procedure has advanced dramatically, the embryo biopsy procedure as well as cell sampling technique
2. 50 % of embryos produced either by natural conception or by in vitro fertilization, present with a risk of implantation failure or they are lost before birth due to chromosomal anomalies. Therefore, any patient undergoing an IVF may use PGS to avoid the problems mentioned above.
3. This investigation is recommended in the following cases for couples undergoing in vitro fertilization: advanced maternal age, repeated spontaneous abortions, couples with repeated failures of in vitro fertilization procedures, severe masculine infertility, couples with repeated aneuploid pregnancies
4. Using preimplantation genetic screening, the couples undergoing in vitro fertilization may detect a whole range of chromosomal anomalies, may increase the embryos implant success rate, reduce the risk of spontaneous abortions and increase the chances of birth of a healthy baby
5. PGS uses the 23 pairs of chromosomes (22 pairs of somatic chromosomes and 2 gender determinants, XX for females and XY for males). A whole range of chromosomal anomalies can be identified in consequence: Down syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Turner syndrome etc.
The physicians at the Columna Medical Center and IVF Academy Academia will be happy to inform you in more detail about the PGS procedure destined for IVF patients, during a consultation.
Find out the latest news about Columna
The patient’s experience with Columna means proficiency in the medical act, performed in an environment as welcoming and warm as possible.
Help us constantly improve our clinic’s services!